- Sylvia Plath
August is a strange time for a Vermont farm. It's still high summer, and peak production time. We've moved on from planting and prepping to harvesting and selling. We're churning out pounds and pounds of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, and summer squash. The abandoned plum and peach trees on the farm have been producing more than we can harvest, and I've loved taking any excuse to walk by and munch a piece of fruit. The melons are ripe, and last week we harvested the first ears of sweet corn and sliced into the first glorious watermelon--two of my favorite summer indulgences.
![]() |
| The first watermelon of summer |
I love this paradox: the land is giving and producing in full abundance, even as we begin to prepare for hibernation mode. I love the transition of the seasons, enjoying these last golden days of summer while eagerly anticipating brisk fall air, apple cider, and the legendary New England autumn colors. And I love feeling so in tune with the changing seasons, knowing that every change in the weather, every change in the day's length, is impacting how our crops will produce.
But fall is not here yet! This week has been a scorcher, with temperatures and humidity that make me think I'm back in DC or Georgia, not balmy Vermont. It's pretty rough being in the fields when it's this hot (and one of the big reasons I think I couldn't be a full-time professional farmer--I don't do well in heat!). But some little piece of me kind of likes it...harvesting beans in the midday sun may make me want melt into a puddle, or go hide in the walk-in cooler, but it still feels good to be outside and feel the sun on my arms, instead of in an unnaturally climate-controlled building.
I'm on CSA rotation this month, my first rotation on our home farm. The CSA and farmstand rotations comprise the harvest crew, since we're the two groups that distribute our produce to customers. I love being on harvest crew and having a real sense of just how much the farm is producing right now. The cooler is filled an insane amount of food, and it's so fun to pack up the CSA boxes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and imagine how excited our members will be to see this week's goodies. After all, growing food for other people is why we do what we do! I love getting to see all our hard work pay off in feeding our community.
![]() |
| Peppers galore |
But there's still more fun to be had, and I'm taking advantage of all the sun, swimming, and lazy warm days I can before they're gone. Some farm friends and I participated in the Farmer Olympics last week, which was a fun opportunity to hang out with some other local growers. We tried our hardest, but sadly didn't place; what we lacked in skill we definitely made up for in enthusiasm. My sister was here this past weekend, and we spent a few perfect summer days enjoying the farm, farmers market, and Vermont's natural beauty and delicious food. I'm looking forward to basking in a few more warm sunsets on the shores of Lake Champlain, farm-fresh watermelon in tow.
![]() |
| Summer in Vermont can't be beat |



No comments:
Post a Comment